KUTZTOWN AREA SCHOOL DISTRICT
Board of Directors Meeting
Monday, December 4, 2006, 7:30 p.m.
The Board of Directors of Kutztown Area School District met for the workshop board meeting on Monday, December 4, 2006, 7:30 p.m., at the Kutztown Elementary School pursuant to due notice to board members and the public.
Absent Don Vymazal, Dan Walter
Also Brenda Winkler-Superintendent, Joseph Pugliese-Board Treasurer, Gretchen Diehl-Board
Present Secretary, Nick Lazo, Lu Palmer, Eric Erb, Lorraine Felker, Matt Smith, Jim Orwig, Peter
Miller, Barbara Richard, Katrina Alden, Randy Kessler, Rei Horst, Robert Voytas, L. David Garmen, Chris Ferris, Tom Campbell, Karen Neas, Josh Chambers, Donna Keglovits, Steve Pizzuto, Lou Cottone, Kim Grasso, Joseph Grasso, Evan Grasso, Adam Grasso, Kathy Mannai, Khouloud Mannai, Elizabeth Schaeffer, Mary Swartwood, PJ Swartwood, Pete Swartwood, Ingrid Horan, Tim Krise, Jo Stevens, Karen Voytas, Char Horst, Kim Smith, Cindy Smith, Frank Matrone, Randy Hensinger, Oscar Kleinsmith, Pat Vymazal, Dan Catella-The Patriot
Welcome Vice-President Ziegler welcomed guests and opened the meeting with a moment of silence and Pledge of Allegiance to the flag. He asked that everyone sign the attendance book and mark their concern next to their name. He requested that anyone wishing to speak on an agenda item please raise his/her hand to be recognized. This meeting was tape-recorded.
Personnel Motion made by Dennis Ritter, seconded by Patricia Bealer, to approve the following
1. Ratification of Carol Schulley as a long-term substitute high school family and consumer sciences teacher beginning December 4, 2006 through the end of School Year 2006-2007 at the substitute rate of $93 per day up to substituting day 20 of the current school year, then $103 per day up to day 45 in this assignment, then BachelorŐs Step 1 of the current KASD/KATA contract.
2. Approval of Roxanne Grim as long-term substitute aide effective December 4, 2006 to fill a vacant position until a permanent employee is hired, no later than June 2007 at the current substitute rate of $8.80 per hour.
3. Approval of the following personnel as substitute teachers effective December 5, 2006 for School Year 2006-2007 at the substitute rate of $93 per day, days 1-20, $103 per day thereafter:
Chris Schumacher Citizenship Kutztown University/Muhlenberg
Joan Junge English/ESL Russel Sage College/Kutztown U
Paula Ogeka Health/Phys. Ed. Slippery Rock University
4. Approval of Laurie Flowers as a substitute aide effective December 5, 2006 for School Year 2006-2007 at the substitute rate of $8.80 per hour.
5. Approval of Louise Wacik as a substitute aide effective December 5, 2006 for School Year 2006-2007 at the substitute rate of $8.80 per hour.
6. Approval of Michael Christianson as Volunteer Wrestling Coach for School Year 2006-2007.
7. Approval to adjust Carol FairchildŐs, health assistant, hourly rate to $14.00 per hour effective November 28, 2006.
All Personnel Are Approved Pending the DistrictŐs Receipt of All Mandated Credentials.
Tax Study The Tax Study Commission of the Kutztown Area School District presented a
Commission recommendation to the school board with supporting information to impose an additional
1.20% earned income tax over the current .50% EIT. The revenue generated from the increased tax rate will be used to reduce property taxes on qualified residential properties by $798.00. The school board will take the recommendation under advisement and have further discussions at future board meetings before a decision of referendum language is made.
Course Motion made by William Yurvati, seconded by Patricia Bealer, to approve the following
Public Kim Grasso – student discipline, drug use, emergency plan, discipline referrals
Comment Char Horst – student discipline
Ann Boyer – security breach
Kim Smith – security
Kathy Mannai – lockdown drills, proactive stance on drug use
Laura Adornetto – drug use
Dan Catella – timing of drills
Jo Stevens – incident reporting practices
Joe Grasso – excusal note for activities
Becky Hottenstein – time limit requirement of 1 mile run in phys. ed. classes
Adjournment Motion made by Patricia Bealer, seconded by Dennis Ritter to adjourn the meeting at
Motion. carried unanimously.
Respectfully submitted by,
Gretchen A. Diehl
School Board Secretary