KUTZTOWN AREA SCHOOL DISTRICT
Board of Directors Meeting
Tuesday, September 3, 2002, 7:30 p.m.
The Board of Directors of Kutztown Area School District met for the workshop board meeting on Tuesday,
September 3, 2002, 7:30 p.m., in the senior high school library pursuant to due notice to board members and the public.
Absent Donald Meyers, Dale Reppert, Carl Ziegler, Lynn Nonnemacher
Also Nickolas Sosik-Business Manager, Gretchen Diehl-Board Secretary, Geri Miller,
Present Lu Palmer, Mark Erb, Eric Erb, Nick Lazo, Michele Fragnito, Celeste Brown, Tom Green,
Leroy Merkel, Eric Veronikis-The Patriot, Gary Miklus, Jeff Schmoyer, Kathy Schlenker, Richard Angstadt, Phil Leinbach, Lorie Zimmerman, H.L. Spohn
Welcome President Vymazal welcomed guests and opened the meeting with a moment
of silence with remembrance of Mrs. Judy Darion and Pledge of Allegiance to the flag. He asked that everyone sign the attendance book and mark their concern next to their name. He requested that anyone wishing to speak on an agenda item please raise his/her hand to be recognized.
Softball Team Motion made by Dennis Ritter, seconded by William Yurvati to bring back into discussion the
Jackets district purchase of softball team jackets which was voted down at a previous meeting.
Mr. Reppert arrived 7:35 p.m.
Educational Presentation by Dr. Nancy Allmon and Mr. Stan Kita of the Berks County Intermediate
Focus Unit Š They noted the services offered by the IU and that KASD takes advantage of many of them.
Mr. Ziegler arrived 8:02 p.m.
Feasibility Phil Leinbach handed out revised plans for a possible high school renovation that took
Study into account a limited budget by the district.
Personnel Motion made by Patricia Bealer, seconded by Kent Dahlquist, to approve the following
1. Approval to furlough Debra Newhard from the position of part-time (.55) librarian effective at the end of School Year 2001-2002 due to the alteration of the library program.
2. Approval for Sharon Leuchak to take an unpaid leave of absence for the first semester of School Year 2002-2003.
3. Approval of Denise Klein as long-term substitute elementary school nurse during Sharon LeuchakÕs leave of absence for the first semester of School Year 2002-2003 at a rate of $80 per day (days 1-20), $90 per day (days 21-45) and the balance at Step 1, BachelorÕs column (non-tenured) as per the KASD/KATA contract.
4. Ratification of Scott DeLong as long-term substitute during Tom CampbellÕs child rearing leave for School Year 2002-2003 at a rate of $80 per day (days 1-20), $90 per day (days 21-45) and the balance at Step 1, BachelorÕs column (non-tenured) as per the KASD/KATA contract.
5. Approval of the following individuals as substitute teachers for School Year 2002-2003 at the current substitute teacher rate:
Jennifer Esser Elementary Ed. LaSalle University
Katie Boyer Elementary Ed. Lock Haven University
Daniel Della Rova Guest Teacher Albright College
David Kantner Guest Teacher Univ. of New Hampshire, Penn State
6. Ratification for Linda McLean to continue as long-term substitute during Kitty SolomonÕs leave of absence until further notice at a salary per BachelorÕs column, Step 1 of the KASD/KATA contract.
7. Ratification of Joyce Esser as long-term substitute for Rita Schwalm at a rate of $80 per day (days 1-20), $90 per day (days 21-45) and the balance at Step 1, BachelorÕs column (tenured) as per the KASD/KATA contract.
8. Approval of Cheryl Funk as a resource person for Tammy Haring at a rate of $150 for the first semester of School Year 2002-2003.
9. Correction of the salary for Alyssa Raifsnider as a resource person to Pamela Ashman from $300 to $200 for School Year 2002-2003.
10. Approval of Harry McGonigle as a resource person for Scott DeLong at a rate of $300 for School Year 2002-2003.
Motion made by Patricia Bealer, seconded by William Yurvati, to approve the following
Motion made by Kent Dahlquist, seconded by William Yurvati, to approve the following
20. Approval of the following extra duty personnel for School Year 2002-2003, salaries to be set per the KASD/KATA contract:
Pop Group Director Bryan Hartman
Band Director Doug Matz
Asst. Band Director Tim Mengle
Band Front Jennifer Kunkel
Freshman Sallie Sandler
Sophomore Toni Springborg
Junior Sue Hieter
Senior Sue Mixa
Student Council Advisor John Noll
Albany Diane Haring
Greenwich-Lenhartsville Cheryl Funk
Maxatawny Ann Dietrich
Kutztown Louise Sholedice
Kutztown Elem Patrol Advisor Kevin Fretz
Director Marie Groff
Vocal Director Shannon Sunday
Orchestra Director Doug Matz
Costumes Shirlene Silfies
Scenery Construction Director Bob Williams
Scenery Painter Director Bob Williams
Choreographer Janet Yost
Senior High Kristen Tuerk
Junior High Matt Cullen
Advisor Josh Chambers
Copy Josh Chambers
Business Sue DeAngelis
Social Studies/Language Arts (Elem) Louise Sholedice
Mathematics/Science (Elem) Louise Sholedice
Language Arts (Sec) Toni Koller
Mathematics (Sec) Sallie Sandler
Science (Sec) Al Darion
Social Studies (Sec) Harry McGonigle
Vocational Karen Reighn
Foreign Language Marta Schunk
Special Education Dona Hetman
Special Areas Helenirene Kuehne
All Personnel Are Approved Pending the DistrictÕs Receipt of All Mandated Credentials.
Bus Route Motion made by James Kramer, seconded by Patricia Bealer, to approve the attached
Revisions revised bus routes for the Kutztown Area School District, public and non-public, for School
First Reading Motion made by Patricia Bealer, seconded by Kent Dahlquist, to approve the first reading
ESL Policy of attached new policy #105.3 Š English as a Second Language
Strategic Plan Motion made by Dennis Ritter, seconded by Patricia Bealer, to approve the attached
Revisions changes to the Kutztown Area School District Strategic Plan September 2000 Š June 2006.
Baseball/ Motion made by Kent Dahlquist, seconded by William Yurvati, to approve the attached
Soccer Fields proposal by Tom Green and the maintenance crew to restore the baseball and soccer fields
Restoration for a cost not to exceed $17,082.50.
V.L. Rendina Motion made by Carl Ziegler, seconded by Patricia Bealer, to approve the payment of the
Payment attached invoice by V.L. Rendina for $3,685 for costs incurred by rock removal encountered during the added ball field installation for the middle school renovation/additions project.
Adjournment Motion made by James Kramer, seconded by Kent Dahlquist, to adjourn the meeting at
Motion carried unanimously.
Respectfully submitted by,
Gretchen A. Diehl
School Board Secretary