KUTZTOWN AREA SCHOOL DISTRICT
Board of Directors Meeting
Monday, October 7, 2002, 7:30 p.m.
The Board of Directors of Kutztown Area School District met for the workshop board meeting on Monday,
October 7, 2002, 7:30 p.m., in the middle school commons pursuant to due notice to board members and the public.
Absent James Kramer, Dale Reppert, Lynn Nonnemacher
Also Brenda Winkler-Superintendent, Nickolas Sosik-Business Manager, Gretchen Diehl-Board
Present Secretary, Lu Palmer, Mark Erb, Eric Erb, Nick Lazo, Celeste Brown, Tom Green, Barb Richard,
Bryan Harman, Doug Matz, Matt Cullen, Merav Bushlin, Wanda Cronrath, Sandy Hawkins
Welcome President Vymazal welcomed guests and opened the meeting with a moment of silence and
Pledge of Allegiance to the flag. He asked that everyone sign the attendance book and mark their concern next to their name. He requested that anyone wishing to speak on an agenda item please raise his/her hand to be recognized.
Educational Presentation by Mark Erb regarding the current state of district technology and items to
Focus keep in mind for upcoming school years.
Personnel Motion made by Kent Dahlquist, seconded by William Yurvati, to approve the following
1. Approval of Janelle Loeb as full-time secondary wellness and fitness teacher effective October 8, 2002. Her salary is $31,505 per Step 1, Bachelor’s column (non-tenured) of the KASD/KATA contract.
2. Ratification to change the status of Scott DeLong as long-term substitute during Tom Campbell’s child rearing leave for School Year 2002-2003 at a rate of $80 per day (days 1-20), $90 per day (days 21-45) and the balance at Step 1, Bachelor’s column (tenured) as per the KASD/KATA contract.
3. Approval of Scott Wagaman as a full-time floating substitute with individual benefits effective October 8, 2002 through May 30, 2003 at the approved rate of $97 per day.
4. Ratification of the following individuals as substitute teachers for School Year 2002-2003 effective August 26, 2002 at the current substitute teacher rate:
Scott Wagaman Biology/General Science Kutztown University
Tim Haas English 7-12 Millersville University
Elizabeth Ely Elementary Kutztown University
Amy Walton Elementary/Early Childhood Kutztown University
Denise Statkus Elementary Kutztown University
Tammy Haring Elementary Indiana Univ. of PA
Jennifer Erb Elementary Bloomsburg University
Kay Fritz Elementary/Early Childhood Millersville University
Susan Kline Elementary Kutztown Univ./Alvernia
Erica Fredericks Language Arts Kutztown University
Deborah Kenney Elementary Kutztown University
Linda McLean Elementary/Visually Impared Kutztown University
Brenda Fiering Elementary Kutztown University
Deborah Masters Early Childhood/Reading Spec. Millersville University
Christopher Daubert Guest Teacher Dickinson College
Meredith Morse Guest Teacher Manhattan College
Richard Snyder Guest Teacher Maryland Institute
5. Ratification of Dori Zingley as full-time (35 hours per week, 10 months per year) nurse aide at a rate of $10.00 per hour, effective September 30, 2002.
6. Ratification of Rebecca Staus as full-time (35 hours per week, 10 months per year) learning support aide at a rate of $8.25 per hour, effective October 8, 2002.
7. Acceptance of the resignation of Linda Cataldi-Riggs, cafeteria worker, effective October 7, 2002.
8. Approval of Buddy Balik as substitute maintenance staff effective September 30, 2002 for School Year 2002-2003 at a rate of $8.25 per hour.
9. Ratification of the following individuals as substitute cafeteria workers for School Year 2002-2003 at the hourly substitute cafeteria rate:
Kelly Hummel June Bruno
11. Correction of personnel to fill the middle school stage manager position from Matt Cullen at $1,055 to a shared position between Matt Cullen and Carl Zeplin at $527.50 each, salaries as per the KASD/KATA contract.
Motion made by William Yurvati, seconded by Dennis Ritter, to grant permission to the
administration to hire a second full-time floating substitute with individual benefits with
ratification at a future board meeting.
All Personnel Are Approved Pending the District’s Receipt of All Mandated Credentials.
Conference Motion made by Patricia Bealer, seconded by William Yurvati to approve Matt Cullen to attend
Requests the Technology Education Association of PA State Conference in Camp Hill, PA on November 7-8, 2002 at a cost of $454.75.
Motion made by William Yurvati, seconded by Kent Dahlquist to approve Lura Palmer to attend the Special Education Director’s of Eastern PA Conference in Pocono Manor, PA on October 23-25, 2002 at a cost of $391.00.
Music Trip Motion made by Dennis Ritter, seconded by William Yurvati, to approve the music department
Trip to Orlando, Fl as per the attached information.
Language Motion made by Patricia Bealer, seconded by William Yurvati, to approve the language arts
Arts Trip department trip to London and Paris as per the attached information.
Bus Route Motion made by Patricia Bealer, seconded by Donald Meyers, to approve the attached
Revisions revised bus/van routes for the Kutztown Area School District, for School Year 2002-2003.
Motion carried unanimously.
2002-2003 Motion made by Dennis Ritter, seconded by Donald Meyers, to approve the following
Kindergarten changes to the 2002-2003 Kindergarten Calendar:
Calendar Š AM and PM Kindergarten in session during November and April teacher conferences
Š Alternate AM and PM students during last 4 days in June, all students to attend during
Motion not carried.
Excused Motion made by Carl Ziegler, seconded by Patricia Bealer, to approve the equivalent of 12
Student excused days for elementary student #102340 to participate in a musical enrichment
Adjournment Motion made by Dennis Ritter, seconded by Donald Meyers, to adjourn the meeting at
Motion carried unanimously.
Respectfully submitted by,
Gretchen A. Diehl
School Board Secretary