KUTZTOWN AREA SCHOOL DISTRICT
Board of Directors Meeting
Monday, May 6, 2002, 7:30 p.m.
The Board of Directors of Kutztown Area School District met for the workshop board meeting on Monday,
May 6, 2002, 7:30 p.m., in the Greenwich-Lenhartsville Elementary School Multi-purpose Room pursuant to due notice to board members and the public.
Absent Kent Dahlquist, Donald Meyers, Dennis Ritter, Ben Haas-Student Representative, Lynn Nonnemacher-Alternate Student Representative
Also Dr. Brenda A. Winkler-Superintendent, Gretchen Diehl-Board Secretary, Nickolas Sosik, Jr.-
Present Business Manager, Geri Miller, Lu Palmer, Mark Erb, Barry Adams, Eric Erb, Celeste Brown,
Mark Dawson, Tina Billig, Ralph Konemann, Dorothy Konemann, Lori, Breon & Bethany Riegel, Ken and Ruitt Kern, Cheryl Funk, Michael Balla, Eric V.-Kutztown Patriot
Welcome President Vymazal welcomed guests and opened the meeting with a moment
of silence and Pledge of Allegiance to the flag. He asked that everyone sign the attendance book and mark their concern next to their name. He requested that anyone wishing to speak on an agenda item please raise his/her hand to be recognized.
WWII Veteran Mr. Yurvati presented a high school diploma to Mr. Ralph Konemann through ï¿½Operation
Diploma Recognitionï¿½. This program honors WWII Veterans who left high school to enter the armed forces
Presentation during WWII and were not able to graduate. Mr. Konemann accepted the diploma and thanked
the Board for this honor and his friend Ken Kern for making him aware of this program.
Personnel Motion made by Patricia Bealer, seconded by Dale Reppert, to approve the following
personnel items #1-#4 and #6:
Motion made by James Kramer, seconded by Donald Vymazal, to approve the following
personnel item #5:
Motion not carried.
All Personnel Are Approved Pending the DistrictÕs Receipt of All Mandated Credentials.
Conference Motion made by William Yurvati, seconded by James Kramer, to approve the following
Requests conference requests #1-#4:
1. Michele Fragnito to attend the PrincipalÕs Academy, Part II to be held July 24-26, 2002 at State College, PA at a total cost of $645.00.
2. Nicholas Lazo to attend the PrincipalÕs Academy, Part II to be held July 24-26, 2002 at State College, PA at a total cost of $745.00.
3. Mark Erb to attend the MacWorld Conference to be held July 16-18, 2002 at Jacob Javits Center, NYC at a total cost of $678.00.
4. Dennis Kutz to attend the MacWorld Conference to be held July 16-18, 2002 at Jacob Javits Center, NYC at a total cost of $678.00.
VanLear Motion made by Patricia Bealer, seconded by Dale Reppert, to approve Melanie Riegel
Substitute as a 2001-2002 Van Lear substitute bus/van driver for the Kutztown Area School District.
Motion carried unanimously.
HS Feasibility Motion made by Carl Ziegler, seconded by James Kramer, to contract with Adams, Eisenhower
Study & Meckley, Inc., dba AEM Architects, for a district-wide feasibility study with design options
Architect and alternatives focusing on a high school project for a fixed fee of $6,500, which will be
credited upon initiation of a construction project and subject to conditions as detailed in the attached proposal.
Student Motion made by William Yurvati, seconded by Patricia Bealer, to adopt the attached
Discipline adjudication relating to the following student, number 101575, hereby excluding the student
Action from the Kutztown Area School District, in accordance with the terms thereof.
TB Test Motion made by William Yurvati, seconded by Patricia Bealer, to request a waiver from the Waiver - New Pennsylvania Department of Health to exempt new hires of the Kutztown Area School District
Employees from being tested for TB as a requirement for employment. Kutztown Family Medicine, the
district physicians, wrote the attached prescription due to the district being in a non-endemic region of reportable cases of TB.
2001-2002 Motion made by William Yurvati, seconded by Patricia Bealer, to approve the attached revised Calendar School Year 2001-2002 calendar reflecting the change of no afternoon Kindergarten on the last
Revision student day.
Mr. Ritter arrived at 7:58 p.m.
2002 Summer Motion made by Patricia Bealer, seconded by Donald Meyers, to approve the following Programs Summer Programs items #1-#5 and #7-#8:
1. Approval of the required Extended School Year Program to run from approximately June 17 to July 25, 2002, Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. The program will be operated by KASD. Modifications in times and dates will be based on individual and/or class needs.
2. Approval of the following teachers for the Extended School Year Program at the current curriculum rate as per the KASD/KATA contract for up to 7 hours per week:
Dona Hetman Erin Webb Jodi Kirstein
3. Approval of the Summer Fast ForWord Program to run between June 17 and July 25, 2002, Monday through Friday with a break for July 4-5, 2002.
4. Approval of Cheryl Funk to facilitate the summer Fast ForWord Program for up to 32 hours per week at the current curriculum rate as per the KASD/KATA contract.
5. Approval of one aide for the Summer Fast ForWord Program at $8.25 per hour for up to 30 hours per week with ratification at a future meeting.
7. Approval of Dennis Kutz as coordinator of the summer elementary computer camp for a total of 40 hours at the current curriculum rate as per the KASD/KATA contract.
8. Approval of the following high school summer school teachers and subjects:
Lisa Saby English
Sue Heiter Science
To be determined Social Studies
Stephen Pizzuto Math
Motion made by Carl Ziegler, seconded by William Yurvati, to approve the following teachers to work during the Summer Professional Development Academy at the current curriculum rate as per the KASD/KATA contract.
Al Darion 40 hours
Jerry Hartle 16 hours
Brenda Loeb 16 hours
Celeste Ball 16 hours
Mr. Meyers arrived at 8:10 p.m.
Comment Mr. Ziegler recognized Franklin Wiltrout for his many years of dedicated service to the
students of the Kutztown Area School District. Also, Mr. Ziegler mentioned that even though Frank Orlando spent only a short amount of time as HS Principal, his experience and dedication to the students made for a great learning environment and he will be missed.
Informational Item Revenue Budget Report as of April 29, 2002
Adjournment Motion made by Dennis Ritter, seconded by Donald Meyers, to adjourn the meeting at
Motion carried unanimously.
Respectfully submitted by,
Gretchen A. Diehl
School Board Secretary