All potential students are those whose home language survey information states a language other than English is spoken in the home. Students are initially tested to determine appropriate placement within the program of study. Students are evaluated by several criteria including, placement testing, interviewing, and past and present school performance.
ESL students are given the annual state exam, WIDA, which is administered in January.
- To improve competency in comprehending oral and written English
- To develop learning strategies
- To integrate language, cognitive, and academic instruction to enable students to develop English proficiency and content area skills
- To orient students and parents/guardians to American culture
- To promote pride in students' native cultures
- To promote the acculturation and instruction of ESL students by all district staff
Lisa M. Moyer