District Goals 2019-2020
Student Achievement and Growth
Goal Statement: Students demonstrate growth in subjects measured by standardized assessments.
- All students achieve a minimum of one year’s growth, based on Pennsylvania Value Added Assessment System (PVAAS) or STAR 360, in the area of English Language Arts, Mathematics, and Science.
Goal Statement: Students demonstrate proficiency in subjects measured by state assessments.
- 95% of all students will achieve proficiency on the English Language Arts Keystone exam by the end of 11th grade.
- 95% of students will be reading on grade level by the end of eighth grade as measured by the English Language Arts PSSA or STAR 360.
- 85% of students will be reading on grade level by the end of third grade as measured by Fountas & Pinnel or STAR 360.
- 95% of all students will achieve proficiency on the Algebra I Keystone exam by the end of 11th grade.
- 90% of all 8th-grade Algebra I students will score proficient or advanced as measured by the Spring Keystone Exam.
- 75% of grade 3, grade 4, and grade 5 students will achieve proficient or advanced on the Math PSSA or STAR 360.
- 95% of all students will achieve proficiency on the Biology Keystone exam by the end of 11th grade.
College and Career Readiness
Goal Statement: Provide all students with a rigorous and standards aligned curriculum, research based best instructional practices, and assessments that will inform and guide our practice.
- Develop and use common writing rubrics to provide consistent feedback on student performance.
- Align K-5 Math, ELA, Science, and Social Studies curriculum and assessments with PA Core and Academic Standards and report cards.
- Design innovative K-5 scheduling options to maximize student learning opportunities while minimizing loss of instructional time.
- Finalize grades 4-12 TDA assessment practices including rubrics, common assessments, and scoring procedures.
- All K-5 and secondary ELA teachers consistently demonstrate best practices in language arts instruction as identified in the Literacy Framework Instructional Core. 75% of all secondary content area teachers demonstrate best practices in at least three areas of the Instructional Core.
- All teachers apply the KASD Instructional Model in lesson planning and teaching.
Parent, Staff, and Community Engagement
Goal Statement: Involve, engage, and inform the community to maximize partnerships and relationships that support the educational experience of all students.
- Solicit community feedback regarding district/school needs, priorities, and improvement initiatives through community surveys, forums, and meetings.
- Establish transition protocol at each entry point: kindergarten, grade 5 to 6, grade 8 to 9 as well as any point from external (charter, private, homeschool, other district, etc.) to KASD.
- Expand “Cougar Prints” to include monthly staff contributions.
- Engage non-school groups and youth organizations to provide positive communication throughout the community utilizing school district resources.
- Partner with youth organizations in K-12 extracurricular and co-curricular program to engage students and grow participation utilizing youth night opportunities at the high school events.
- Maximize revenue stream to support Athletic and Co-Curricular programs.
Financial and Human Resources
Goal Statement: Develop a fiscally responsible budget that reflects the values of the community, supports a quality education for all students, sustains the educational program, and is supported by the Board of School Directors and the community.
- Restructure positions where and when possible, evaluate contract proposals based on quality of service and cost, and pursue additional partnerships to provide efficient services.
- Migrate to an online human resources program for leave approvals by the end of the 2019-20 school year.
- Perform a line item analysis of all accounts to seek financial efficiencies.
- Develop a 3-to-5 year budget forecast for presentation at the Spring Budget and Finance Committee meeting to inform the school board and community of the budget realities in the future.
- Review and update job description manual for all departments to align with current function and district need.
Goal Statement: Provide all students, staff, and visitors with a safe and secure environment and ensure preparedness to effectively respond to all situations.
- Continually evaluate the physical facility security to provide a safe and secure environment for students and staff.
- Conduct regular safety drills with consultation with first responders.
- Collaborate with community resources to evaluate and revise All Hazards Drills including reunification planning and practice.
- Implement a student threat assessment protocol to support students, families, and the school community.
- Implement proactive measures to support students such as partnering with the Caron Foundation for daily support of students and faculty.