Flex Day Program
2019/20 Flex Day Program
A flex day is a professional development day in which professional staff may choose when to complete personalized professional learning. The topic or focus of all activities for the 2019/20 school year will align with one of the following District Focal Points:
- Grading and Assessment Practices
- College & Career Readiness
- STE(A)M Principles
- EI/DI - Effective and Differentiated Instruction
Continuing in 2019/20: As we work on developing our district-wide Literacy Framework, each teacher must complete 6 hours related to instructional best practices as outlined in the Literacy Framework. Click here for suggestions/ideas.
What can I do?
Here are some examples of learning activities which may earn Act 48/Flex credit:
- Attend a workshop or conference
- Take an online course
- Participate in a Professional Literature/Video Study Group - read these guidelines
- Write/revise curriculum
“Professional development” here is defined as professional learning relating to your area of certification which qualifies for Act 48 credit. (Read this for more details.) In general, professional development:
- has measurable learning objectives,
- actively engages participants in meeting the objective through exposure to evidenced-based research/materials, and
- includes an expectation of implementing the learning in the classroom/on the job in order to improve student outcomes.
TIP: Connect your Flex Day learning with your SLO and with your professional goals!
Flex Program Guidelines:
- All professional learning activities must occur outside of the regular work day.
- There will be no additional compensation (pay) for additional flex activities completed during any school year.
- Flex hours cannot be “banked” for a future school year.
- If a teacher chooses to work on a flex day during the school year (see dates below), the professional learning activity will be directed by an administrator.
- Flex days are not approved until you receive confirmation from your principal through the Comply software. Click here for directions for submitting proposals and reports.
Save these dates!
2019/2020 PROCESS & TIMELINE
May 1, 2019
First day to submit Flex Proposal
June 7, 2019
First possible day of 2019/20 Flex
October 18, 2019
Deadline to submit proposal(s) for first 9 hours of Flex
December 6, 2019
Report for first 3 Flex hours due
December 13, 2019
Agenda/assignment e-mailed for 12/20/19 PM Flex Day
December 20, 2019
Flex Half Day (PM)
January 6, 2020
Report for next 6 hours due
January 13, 2020
Agenda/assignment e-mailed for 1/20/19 Flex Day
January 20, 2020
Flex (full) Day
February 7, 2020
Deadline to submit proposal for final 3 hours
March 25, 2020
Report for final 3 hours due
April 1, 2020
Agenda/assignment e-mailed for 4/8/20 PM Flex
April 8, 2020
Flex Half Day (PM)