Flex Day Program
2020/21 Flex Day Program Overview
A flex day is a professional development day in which professional staff may choose when to complete personalized professional learning. All Flex activities will align with one of the following priority areas:
- Literacy (6 hours required)
- Grading and Assessment Practices
- College & Career Readiness
- EI/DI - Effective and Differentiated Instruction
- Curriculum Development
*New for 2020/21*
- Flex activities must be completed in 6-hour increments
- If you wish to do one 12-hour activity, it must fulfill the Literacy Requirement
At least 6 hours (1 day) of flex learning must be designed to elevate your learning in ways to implement or improve your use of the Instructional Practices of the Literacy Framework. **Go to the Virtual Learning Hub for suggested learning opportunities**
What Counts as a Learning Activity?
- Attend a workshop, conference, summer institute, or an online course
- Participate in a Professional Literature/Video Study Group - read these guidelines
- Write/revise curriculum
“Professional development” here is defined as professional learning relating to your area of certification which qualifies for Act 48 credit. (Read this for more details.) In general, professional development:
- has measurable learning objectives,
- actively engages participants in meeting the objective through exposure to evidenced-based research/materials, and
- includes an expectation of implementing the learning in the classroom/on the job in order to improve student outcomes.
*NEW & Streamlined* Proposal/Reporting:
- Go to https://comply.edulinksolutions.com/login
- You will find two proposal forms and two report forms. One set is titled “2020-21 Flex,” and the other is “2020-21 LITERACY Flex.” You may submit your proposals in any order.
- Do not begin your Flex activity until you receive approval from your supervisor.
- Once completed, select the correct Report for the activity (either Flex Report or LITERACY Flex Report).
- For each report, you will complete the Questionnaire AND upload evidence (1-2 pieces).
- NOTE: If your LITERACY Flex activity is 12 hours, you do not need to complete the other Proposal/Report.
Flex Program Guidelines:
- All professional learning activities must occur outside of the regular work day.
- There will be no additional compensation for additional flex activities/hours.
- Flex hours cannot be “banked” for a future school year.
- If a teacher does not complete the Proposal and Report by the due dates, the professional learning activity will be directed by an administrator.
- Flex days are not approved until you receive confirmation from your principal through the Comply software. Click here for directions for submitting proposals and reports.
2020/2021 PROCESS & TIMELINE
May 29, 2020
First day to submit Flex Proposal
June 17, 2020
First possible day of 2020/21 Flex
November 6, 2020
Deadline to submit proposal for first 6 hours of Flex
January 8, 2021
Report for first 6 hours due
January 13, 2021
Agenda/assignment e-mailed for 1/18/21 Flex Day
January 18, 2021
Flex Day #1
April 1, 2021
Deadline to submit proposal for last 6 hours of Flex
May 21, 2021
Report for final 6 hours due
May 27, 2021
Agenda/assignment e-mailed for 6/7/21 Flex Day
June 7, 2021
Flex Day #2