Flex Day Program
A “flex day” is a staff development day in which staff may choose when to complete personalized professional learning. All Flex activities must align with our priority focal areas:
Social Emotional Learning - SEL has to do with ensuring that each learner has the skills, dispositions, and knowledge to overcome, persist, engage, cope, and grow. Here are some associated topics:
- Engaging the brain/brain science
- Growth mindset
- Student motivation
- Trauma-informed instruction
- Ensuring physical and emotional safety
Equity - The definition used by the PA Department of Education is as follows: “ Every student has access to the educational resources and rigor they need at the right moment in their education across race, gender, ethnicity language, disability, sexual orientation, family background, and/or family income.” Some possible avenues for learning might include:
- Career readiness
- Culturally responsive teaching
- Culturally responsive curriculum/materials
- Equity of access to rigorous curriculum
- Social justice
Teaching With Technology (pedagogical approaches using digital tools and techniques)
Curriculum, Instruction, Assessment (CIA)
Secondary teachers, if you teach a class for which there is not an approved curriculum or an outdated curriculum (prior to 2017), this should be your first priority for your Flex hours.
What Counts as a “Learning Activity”?
- Face-to-face or virtual workshop, conference, summer institute
- Online course
- Professional Literature/Video Study Group - read these guidelines
- Curriculum development
- Only work done on the official curriculum qualifies as “curriculum work.”
- Lesson planning, assessment development, identifying resources, and/or adding to Canvas or Google Classroom are not considered Curriculum Writing activities.
Looking for ideas? **Check out our new Summer Flex Catalog**
“Professional development” is defined as professional learning relating to your area of certification which qualifies for Act 48 credit. (Read this for more details.) In general, professional development:
- has measurable learning objectives,
- actively engages participants in meeting the objective through exposure to evidenced-based research/materials, and
- includes an expectation of implementing the learning in the classroom/on the job in order to improve student outcomes.
TIP: Connect your Flex Day learning with your SLO and with your professional goals!
*NEW FOR 21/22* Proposal & Reporting Process:
- On May 10, 2021, you will receive notification from Comply that you two new items:
- The last flex day occurs the day after the last teacher day which may be adjusted due to snow days or other school closures.
- 1-17-22 Flex Proposal & 5-31-22 (Last) Flex Proposal
- Reports available in Comply in June 2021
- For the Report, you do NOT have to upload evidence into Comply.
- Instead, complete the questionnaire, and then you will be summarizing your learning on an assigned Google Slide. The slides will serve as a repository of the learning of the faculty and will be used as a means to share learning with others. Limit one (1) slide per activity. Use ONLY your assigned slides (links in Comply in report):
Flex Program Guidelines:
- Do not begin your Flex activity until you receive approval from your supervisor.
- All professional learning activities must occur outside of the regular work day.
- There will be no additional compensation for additional flex activities/hours.
- Flex hours cannot be “banked” for a future school year.
- If a teacher does not complete the Proposal and Report by the due dates, the professional learning activity on the designated day will be directed by an administrator.
2021/2022 FLEX PROCESS & TIMELINE
May 10, 2021
First day to submit Flex Proposals
June 8, 2021
First day of 2021/22 Flex Program
November 5, 2021
Deadline to submit 1-17-22 Flex Proposal
January 7, 2022
Deadline to submit 1-17-22 Flex Report
January 13, 2022
Agenda/assignment e-mailed for 1/17/22 Flex Day
January 17, 2022
Flex Day #1
April 1, 2022
Deadline to submit 5-31-22 Flex Proposal
May 20, 2022
Deadline to submit 5-31-22 Flex Report
May 26, 2022
Agenda/assignment e-mailed for 5/31/22 Flex Day
*May 31, 2022
Flex Day #2
* Last Flex day will occur one day after the last teacher day of the school year. At publication, that date is 5-31-22, but is subject to change.